Oct 10, 2016
Stop feeling helpless in the
face of vague complaints like fatigue, digestive problems, mood
swings, inability to lose weight, etc. Learn to treat any chronic
disease without writing more prescriptions. Heal yourself and your
patients with the power of food. Join us for the return of
Functional Medicine physician, Dr. Yousef Elyaman, as he schools us
on elimination diets, phytonutrients, liver detoxification, going
“paleo” and more. This is a deluxe episode so we’ve included a time
key below. You’re welcome.
the 80:20 rule. Try to make 80% of your food paleolithic
- Eliminate the chemicals when possible
(processed foods, plastics, cleaning products, cosmetics,
- Workarounds for your budget: home garden and/or
- Preserve phytonutrients - Avoid microwaves.
Lightly saute or eat veggies raw.
an elimination diet for one month then reintroduce foods one
at a time.
- Assess patient readiness and prescribe diet
that fits their degree of commitment.
lab panel to consider: Check homocysteine, zinc, 25OH
Vit D, B12, RBC folate, RBC magnesium (use diagnosis of
- Micronutrient panel.
Plasma by Genova Diagnostics.
- Check for MTHR mutation (if off then patient needs
Dr. E's Four steps to healing with food
- Ensure a nutritionally dense diet.
- Remove bothersome foods.
- Replace deficiencies.
- Rebalance the system.
Dr. Elyaman reports no relevant
financial disclosures for this topic.
By the end of this podcast
listeners will be able to:
- Appraise the quality of a patient’s diet and
identify potential sources of intolerance/food
- Counsel patients on sustainable dietary changes
to remove potentially bothersome foods and chemicals
- Perform a basic laboratory evaluation to
- Identify resources for patients and providers
to facilitate education and adherence
02:30 Welcome Dr.
03:15 Stuart bums everyone out
with a current event.
04:30 Functional Medicine
07:10 Logistics of educating
patients on dietary changes.
11:15 Four steps to healing with
15:00 Use food to treat chronic
16:45 Fats and a nutritionally
20:00 Alzheimer’s and
27:45 Eating on a
33:40 Genetically modified
foods, lectins and autoimmune disease.
46:00 Multiple sclerosis, Milk
50:00 Autism’s interplay with
diet, genes, folate metabolism.
53:00 How to boost liver
56:00 The Wahl’s protocol for
58:30 Paleo diet.
1:07:35 Testing for and
repleting vitamin deficiencies.
1:11:15 Fast food salad and
inflammatory markers (Stuart derails the show again).
1:14:30 Dr. E’s Take home
Links from the show:
The Institute of Functional Medicine's Elimination Diet
Stanford FODMAP Diet
- Visit Dr. E's website for Absolute
- Institute of Functional Medicine website
the basics - Intro
To Functional Medicine by Dr. David Jones and Sheila
- MSQ questionnaire from Dr. Hyman's website -
assess medical symptoms and toxicity
questionnaire - for anxiety, depression,
- A study of macronutrient type on ApoE levels in ApoE2,
E3, E4 genotypes
on the “10 Americans” study by the Environmental Working Group -
chemicals in cord blood https://youtu.be/0-kc3AIM_LU
- EWG.org (environmental work group) - gives
the Dirty Dozen and the Clean 15
- Gluten free diet removes anti islet cell Ab in
a child https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12434905
Terry Wahls TED Talk -
Diet for Multiple Sclerosis (the Wahls protocol)
Paleo Diet book can be purchased here
- Handful of nuts per day lowers mortality in
both of these studies https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25833976
- 23 and Me
- SpectraCell - Micronutrient
NutraEval Plasma by Genova Diagnostics
Stuart’s Omron blood pressure