Oct 21, 2019
Catch up on the latest
guidelines and insights on tuberculosis with help from Dr. Laila
Woc-Colburn, @docwoc71 (Baylor)!
We cover new recommendations for screening health care workers,
treatment of both latent and active TB, and best practices for
counseling patients throughout the process. Listen to find out
more… And say goodbye to the annual PPD?
ACP members can claim CME-MOC
credit at https://www.acponline.org/curbsiders
(CME goes live at 0900 ET on the
episode’s release date).
Full notes https://thecurbsiders.com/episode-list.
Join our mailing list and receive a PDF copy of our
show notes every Monday. Rate us on
iTunes, recommend a guest or topic and give feedback
- Written and Produced by: Hannah R.
Art and Infographic by: Hannah R. Abrams
- Hosts: Hannah R. Abrams; Matthew Watto MD,
- Editors: Matthew Watto MD, FACP; Emi Okamoto
- Guest: Laila Woc-Colburn, MD, FACP
Win a prize! Celebrate National Internal Medicine Day
and tell us why you’re I.M. Proud.
Tell us why you are I.M. Proud
and enter the contest by visiting www.acponline.org/improud
to submit your story today! Answer
one of the three questions below and share your story on social
media using the hashtags #IMProud
#NationalInternalMedicineDay, and tag
@acpinternists. Prizes will be given out 3 times through June of
2020. The first group of winners will be announced
on the first ever National Internal Medicine Day October 28,
makes you proud to practice internal medicine or one of the I.M.
recent patient experience made you proud to be an internist or
is internal medicine unique from other subspecialties?
See us at the CHEST 2019 Annual Meeting in New
We’ll be doing two live
interviews on stage, plus recording two recap episodes to bring you
high yield clinical pearls from the conference. Look out for us in
our red Curbsiders shirts and say hello. Take a picture with
Stuart! Give Paul a hug!
- Sunday October 20 3:30-4:30 room 265-
Dr. Quinn Capers - Implicit Bias
- Monday October 21 7:30-8:30 room 281- Dr.
Christine Won - Update in Sleep Medicine
- 00:00 Sponsor: ACP’s National Internal Medicine
I.M. Proud Story
- 00:24 Disclaimer, Intro, Guest bio, Pun
- 03:51 Guest one-liner, Career Advice;
Picks of the Week*:
Leonardo Da Vinci
by Walter Isaacson; Aditya Shah
(@IDdocAdi) antibiotic stewardship on Twitter;
@EpicEMRParody on Twitter; Zima is a presumably delicious beverage (we’ve never
- 09:52 Sponsor: ACP’s National Internal Medicine
I.M. Proud Story
- 11:30 Case of latent TB; Interpretation of PPD
(Tuberculin Skin Test)
- 17:05 PPD and BCG vaccine; Who needs an
- 19:20 LTBI treatment threshold; IGRA explained
including what to do with “indeterminate results”
- 25:22 LTBI natural history; Why endemic countries
don’t treat LTBI
- 30:08 TB infection, immunity and
- 33:33 How to counsel patients about latent
- 38:25 Dietary and alcohol restrictions during LTBI
- 44:18 Screening of healthcare workers
- 48:02 Case of active TB; AFB smears and nucleic acid
- 56:05 Initiation of antibiotics for tuberculosis and
how to handle TB resistance
- 58:13 Airborne precautions; Who needs them and how to
- 61:24 Direct observed therapy and why adherence to
tuberculosis therapy is challenging
- 68:11 Tuberculosis UV light and
- 71:00 Take home points
- 72:25 Outro
*The Curbsiders participates in
the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate
advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn
advertising commissions by linking to Amazon. Simply put, if you
click on my Amazon.com links and buy something we earn a (very)
small commission, yet you don’t pay any extra.
Listeners will learn the current
standard of care for diagnosis, treatment, and surveillance of
After listening to this episode
- Recognize updates in tuberculosis screening and
- Identify best diagnostic modalities for latent
and active tuberculosis
- Identify best practices for the management of
tuberculosis during the diagnostic period
- Employ treatment algorithms and best practices
for latent and active tuberculosis
Dr. Woc-Colburn reports no
relevant financial disclosures. The Curbsiders report no relevant
Woc-Colburn L, Abrams HR, Watto
MF. “#178 Tuberculosis Updates with Laila Woc-Colburn MD”. The
Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast. https://thecurbsiders.com/episode-list
October 21, 2019.